The 1868 Deepwater Shoals Lighthouse on the James River near Fort Eustis, Virginia where Charles Edward Respess was a lighthouse keeper from 1894 to 1897. Notice the fog bell is mounted on the roof and the shades are drawn in the lantern to protect the Fresnel lens from the harmful rays of the sun. When the lighthouse was deactivated, the U.S. Coast Guard demolished the lighthouse in 1966. (National Archives photo.)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2018
Grave Markers Placed by Chesapeake Group
All contents copyright © 1995-2019 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2019