Boon Island Lighthouse as it appeared in the 1930’s. All of the buildings have since been destroyed in storms. The last keepers of the light took refuge in the tower and had to be rescued by helicopter after high waves destroyed the last keeper’s house. Photograph courtesy of United States Coast Guard.
Back to the edition of: June 2000
Boon Island Lens Goes to Museum
All contents copyright © 1995-2013 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
Keeper of the Light
Ghost Lights of Lake Erie
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2013