The Fairport Harbor (Ohio) West Breakwater Lighthouse on board the Steamer Wotan arriving from Buffalo, New York in Fairport Harbor on June 21, 1921. The shell of the building, composed of steel studding, floor beams, rafters, side and roof plating, and cast iron cornices, sills and lintels, was fabricated, erected, riveted and bolted permanently together, without interior mason work, finish or lantern at the Buffalo Lighthouse Depot. The 65-ton structure was moved on the deck of the Wotan, secured by steel cables and then transported the 147 miles to Fairport Harbor. Photograph courtesy of the Fairport Harbor Historical Society.
Back to the edition of: October 2001