The Grand River Beacon on the East Pier at the mouth of the Grand River at Fairport Harbor, Ohio. The structure was built between 1834 and 1838. At that time there was no breakwater. This Grand River Beacon and the Grand River Lighthouse were used as range lights for ships entering Fairport Harbor from the west. Having been torn down in 1875, this tower no longer stands. Lighthouse Digest Archives photo.
Back to the edition of: October 2001
The Lights and Lost Lights of Fairport Harbor
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017