The NOTICE TO MARINERS dated March 29, 1875 describes the new beacon at Fairport Harbor, Ohio, East Pier as follows: “Light is fixed white; illuminating apparatus is catadioptric, of the 6th order; lighting 210 degrees of the horizon, focal plane 27 feet above the ground and 35 feet above mean low water. The light should be seen from the deck of a vessel 10 feet above the lake, 12 statute miles. The structure is a frame beacon, square in plan, painted black below and white above.”
Back to the edition of: October 2001
The Lights and Lost Lights of Fairport Harbor
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017