New York's Oswego West Pierhead Lighthouse stands at the end of
a 2,000-foot long breakwater at the mouth of the Oswego River, extending one-half mile out onto Lake Ontario. The Light sits on a massive concrete/masonry caisson with a terrace-like deck enclosed by steel railings; the caisson rises 17 feet above mean lake level. Built in 1934, it was automated in 1968 and although it is still an active aid to navigation for all intentional purpose, it was abandoned.
Photo from the Lighthouse Digest Archives.
Back to the edition of: August 2006
More Lighthouses Being Excessed in the Great Lighthouse Give-A-Way
All contents copyright © 1995-2013 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
Keeper of the Light
Ghost Lights of Lake Erie
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2013