Municipality of the District of East Hants
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 190
This is the scene of the highest tide in recorded history -- on a day in 1869 the difference between low and high tide was 54 feet (16.6 m). The original Burncoat Head Lighthouse was replaced in 1913 by a wooden dwelling with a lantern on the roof. This lighthouse was replaced by a skeleton tower in 1972 and was later destroyed. The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1994 by the Municipality of the District of East Hants.
Description of Tower: White, square wooden dwelling with lantern on roof.
This light is not operational
1859: 50-foot square wooden tower.
Date Established: 1859
Date Present Tower Built: 1994
Date Deactivated: 1972
Current Use: Museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The lighthouse museum is open from May 15 to October 31. Hours: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Entrance is by donation.
From Halifax: Hwy 102 to Exit 10; follow Hwy 215 to Noel; turn right onto Burntcoat Road. From Amherst: Hwy 102 to Exit 14; follow Hwy 236; cross the Gosse Bridge; turn right onto Hwy 215; travel to Noel; turn right onto Burntcoat Road. From Windsor: (A) Ecotour Route - Hwy 215 to Burntcoat Road. (B) Cross-Country - Hwy 236 to Hwy 354; turn left and follow Hwy 215 to Noel.
Keepers: Nathan Smith (1859-1874), William Faulkner (1874-1883), Fed H. Faulkner (1884), John Prescott Mosher (1884-1898), William Y. Faulkner (1898-1916), William Burton Faulkner (1916 and 1919-1949), David Webber (1917-1918), W. H. Faulkner (1919), Ervin Faulkner (1949-1960).