Old Baldy Foundation
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 3007
Bald Head Island
"Old Baldy" is North Carolina's oldest standing lighthouse. The exterior of the lighthouse has been restored to a mottled look due to public demand. A replica of a keeper's house. C. 1898, was finished in April 2000 and is operated as a museum by the Old Baldy Foundation.
Tower Height: 100
Height of Focal Plane: 110
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1794
Date Present Tower Built: 1818
Date Deactivated: 1866-1880, 1935
Optics: c. 1834: 15 lamps and reflectors; c.1903: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Historic site, museum.
Open To Public? yes
The Old Baldy Foundation has built a replica of one of the keeper's houses and has opened it as a museum. Admission is free but donations are welcomed.
Bald Head Island is accessible only by ferry from Southport. In Southport turn west off NC 211 onto West 9th Street and follow the signs through the gate on Indigo Plantation Drive to the ferry landing. There is an all-day parking fee. Crossing time is 15 minutes. The ferry leaves Indigo Plantation and Marina every hour on the half hour. For ferry reservations, call (910) 457-5003. For more information, call the Bald Head Island Information Center at (800) 234-1666.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Nearby Lodging: There are many rental properties on Bald Head Island; call 1-800-432-RENT for information and reservations.