Bird Island Light Preservation Society
Contact Address Information:
2 Spring Street
Since 1966 Bird Island has been owned by the Town of Marion. It is an important nesting site for common terns and endangered roseate terns. The Bird Island Light Preservation Society raised funds for the restoration of the lighthouse by International Chimney Corp., and it was relighted as a private aid to navigation on July 4, 1997.
Tower Height: 31
Height of Focal Plane: 37
Characteristic and Range: White flash every six seconds.
Description of Tower: White conical stone tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1819
Date Present Tower Built: 1819
Date Deactivated: 1933-1997
Date Automated: 1997
Optics: 1852 (?): Fourth order Fresnel; now Tidelands ML-300-TF, solar powered.
Fog Signal: Had a fog bell and striking mechanism in pyramidal tower.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
North on US Route 6: About 1.3 miles northeast of the US 6 and MA 105 junction in Marion Center, turn right off Route 6 onto Butler Point Road. Continue to a dead end at a golf course. Bird Island Light can be seen, fairly distantly, from a roadside seawall.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: William S. Moore (1819-1834); John Clark (1834-1849 and 1853-1861); James Delano (1849-1853); Marshall V. Simmons (1861-1867); W. A. Simmons (assistant, 1867-1868; principal keeper 1869-1872); A. B. Bowman (assistant, 1868-1869); Russell G. Gray (assistant 1870-1871); Charles A. Clark (assistant 1871-1872; principal keeper 1872-1891); Jabez Jenney (assistant, 1872-?); Peter Murray (1891-1895); Zimri Tobias ("Toby") Robinson (1895-1912); C. W. Jordan (1912); Elliott Hadley, Jr. (1912-1917); H. H. Davis (1917-1919); Maurice A. Babcock (1919-1926); George T. Gustavus (1926-1933).