Corporation du Phare de Cap-au-Saumon
This station, except the lighthouse itself which is still owned by the Canadian Coast Guard, is now leased to the Corporation du Phare de Cap-au-Saumon, and the station is being gradually restored. Access to the station has been improved, but visitors must still enter on foot and are not allowed to drive down the steep path.
Tower Height: 46
Height of Focal Plane: 82
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 15 seconds; range 20 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White octagonal tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1894
Date Present Tower Built: 1955
Date Automated: 1986
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
There is a path (steep and rocky) to the station that starts behind a poultry processing plant west of the small village of Port-au-Persil -- the distance to the lighthouse is about 2 miles. (Thanks to Michel Forand.)
Keepers: Louis-Phillipe Carré (1941-1966), Edmour Carré (1966-1972), Neil Carré (1973-1985)