Beach Canal Lighthouse Group
The first lighthouse in this spot burned down in a fire ignited by the sparks of a passing steamship. This lighthouse has been abandoned for many years and is in poor condition, but the Beach Canal Lighthouse Group is working for its restoration. It was built by John Brown, who also built Canada's famous "Imperial Towers."
Tower Height: 55
Description of Tower: Conical limestone tower.
This light is not operational
1 1/2 story brick keeper's house.
1837: 54-foot octagonal wooden tower, burned down in 1856.
Date Established: 1837
Date Present Tower Built: 1858
Date Deactivated: 1961
Current Use: Under restoration.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
East Port Drive in Hamilton passes this lighthouse. There is a small parking area near the lighthouse.
Keepers: William Nicholson (1837-?), Thomas Campbell (?), George Thompson (1846-1875)