New York State Office of Parks & Recreation
(716) 386-3165 Ext 202
In 1831 the Barcelona Lighthouse was the first lighthouse in America to use natural gas. After it was discontinued in 1859 it was sold and remained in private ownership until 2008 when it was purchased by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
In 2016 it was officially designated a Historic Site and the grounds are open to the public year-round. The keeper’s house was open during the 2016 summer season as home to the Westfield Visitor Center. Though the light is maintained by staff, the tower is not open to the public at this time as it has some structural issues that are being studied and a repair plan being created. It is the intent to open the tower to the public in the future after repairs are completed.
Tower Height: 40
Description of Tower: Conical fieldstone tower.
This light is not operational
1829 fieldstone keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1829
Date Present Tower Built: 1829
Date Deactivated: 1859
Optics: 1829: 11 lamps and 14
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? no
This lighthouse is on NY Route 5, north of Route 394. It can be seen from a nearby marina's parking lot.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places