This lighthouse was replaced by a modern light on a skeleton tower nearby. The lighthouse is being beautifully restored by the present owners.
Tower Height: 38
Height of Focal Plane: 53
Description of Tower: Square brick tower attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is not operational
1867 1.5 story brick keeper's house, oil house, outhouse, boat house.
1829: 30-foot tower; 1839: 30-foot tower
Date Established: 1829
Date Present Tower Built: 1867
Date Deactivated: 1924
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? no
Bois Blanc (pronounced "Bob-lo") Island is accessible by ferry from Cheboygan, but the light station is privately owned and is not open to the public. It can be seen from tours offered by Mackinac Seaplane Tours -- see www.mackinacseaplanes.com or call 906-632-9746.
Keepers: Eber Ward (1829-1843), William Church (1843-1845), Lyman Granger (1845-1854), Mrs. Charles O'Malley (1854-1855), Henry Grainger (1855-1857, Mary Grainger filled in for him for a few months), Peter Therien (1857-1859), Charles Syons (1859-1861), Charles Louisignau (1861-1866), Charles Hamel (1866-1867), John Wackter (1867-1870), Vetal Bourisau (1870-1874), Levi Chapman (1874-1881), William Marshall (1881 - acting keeper for two months), Lorenzo Holden (1881-1894), Henry Metivier (1896-1924)