Township of St. James
The Township of St. James leased this lighthouse from the Coast Guardf or some time; under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000, the township obtained ownership of the lighthouse in 2005.
Tower Height: 41
Height of Focal Plane: 38
Characteristic and Range: Red light, three seconds on, three seconds off.
Description of Tower: White, cylindrical brick tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1856
Date Present Tower Built: 1870
Date Automated: 1927
Optics: 1870: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The Beaver Island Boat Company runs a ferry from Charlevoix. Call (231) 547-2311 for information, or check their website at www.bibco.com. The Beaver Island Boat Company also offers package tours of the island. Island Airways runs flights from the Charlevoix City Airport. For current rates and schedules, call (231) 547-2141. It can also be seen from tours offered by Mackinac Seaplane Tours -- see www.mackinacseaplanes.com or call 906-632-9746.
Keepers: ? Van Allen (1856-?); ? Loaney (?); Peter McKinley (?-1869); Clement Van Riper (1869, died in service); Elizabeth Whitney Van Riper Williams (1869-1884).