City of Biloxi
This is among the earliest cast iron lighthouses built in the U.S. The lighthouse had women as keepers for 81 years of its history. Maria Younghans was keeper for 51 years and was followed by her daughter, Miranda.
Tower Height: 61
Height of Focal Plane: 48
Description of Tower: White, conical cast iron tower lined with brick.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1848
Date Present Tower Built: 1848
Date Deactivated: 1861-1866
Optics: 1866: Fifth order Fresnel lens
Current Use: Private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes (by arrangement).
This lighthouse is located on the median of US Route 90 in Biloxi, near the foot of Porter Street. The lighthouse is open only to guided tours by reservation. Call 228-435-6305. (As of July 2004 the tower is closed for safety concerns.)
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Marcellus J. Howard (1848-1854), Mary J. Reynolds (1854-1861), Perry Younghans (1866-1867), Maria Younghans (1867-1918), Miranda Younghans (1918-1929), William B. Thompson (1929-?).