Cape Bonavista Lighthouse Provincial Historic Site
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 8700
The original lighting apparatus for this lighthouse was relocated from Bell Rock Lighthouse in Scotland, where it had been in use since 1811. In 1966 the light was moved to a nearby skeleton tower, but the lighthouse has been restored as a Provincial Historic Site. As of January 2003, this is still a staffed light station.
Characteristic and Range: Flash 0.5 s; eclipse 9.5 s. (skeleton tower)
Description of Tower: Lantern on roof of keeper's dwelling; entire structure has vertical red and white stripes.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1843
Date Present Tower Built: 1843
Date Deactivated: 1966
Optics: 1843: 16 lamps and parabolic reflectors
Current Use: Museum, part of Provincial park.
Open To Public? Yes.
On the second floor of the lighthouse is an interpretive display featuring exhibits on the history of the lighthouse and its keepers. The living quarters have been furnished and decorated as they would have appeared in 1870 when Jeremiah White lived there with his son, Nicholas, the assistant keeper, and his family. Visitors may also climb into the lantern room to see the original optics. The lighthouse is open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. mid-June to mid-October. Call (709) 729-2460 or (709) 468-7444 for more information.
The lighthouse is easy to reach by following signs from the town of Bonavista.
Keepers: Jeremiah White (1843-1876), Hubert Abbott (1923-1960).