Digest>Nov/Dec 2015

Photo Caption:

The original Apo Reef Lighthouse was constructed from July 1904 to April 1906 by the United States Lighthouse Service from many of the materials that had been shipped from France to the Spanish government of the Philippines, where they had been sitting in storage since 1896. However, first the Philippine Revolution and then the Spanish American War delayed construction of the lighthouse. The lighthouse was completed when the Philippines was a United States Territory. At 118-feet in height, it was tallest lighthouse ever erected in the Philippines. A 3rd order Fresnel lens shined from its lantern. After years of neglect, the tower was declared unsafe and demolished in in the mid-1990s and replaced by the current tower in 1998.
Back to the edition of: Nov/Dec 2015

Story:

Apo Reef Lighthouse: Sentinel of the Coral Triangle
Back to the edition of: Nov/Dec 2015

All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt












Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History