The “Newsboy” picking up passengers at the Monroe Piers Lighthouse. The vessel was a steam driven propeller ship built in 1899 by the F.W. Wheeler & Co. yards at West Bay City. Displacing 199 gross tons, the wooden hull of the “Newsboy” was 104 feet long, 22 feet wide and had a draft of 6 feet 4 inches. The boat took weekend sightseers from the north pier by the lighthouse on excursions to Toledo. Photograph courtesy of the Monroe County Historical Commission Archives.
Back to the edition of: December 2000
Monroe's Lighthouses - Lost in the pages of time
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017