The lighthouse keeper at Monroe could enjoy the big band music from some of the nations best orchestras that performed at the Casino opposite the lighthouse. The second story of the 225-foot long Casino held a large dance pavilion, which was also used for roller-skating. In 1927 the building was cut from its moorings and dragged across the ice to the beach in what would become Sterling State Park.
Back to the edition of: December 2000
Monroe's Lighthouses - Lost in the pages of time
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2018