Cape D'Or Lighthouse
Contact Address Information:
This station was established in 1874 with a fog signal only; the light was added in 1922. The first lighthouse here was originally the Eatonville Lighthouse, moved to this location in 1922. Today one of the former keeper's houses is run as a guest house, and the other is a restaurant.
Height of Focal Plane: 80
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 7.5 seconds, visible for 13 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White square concrete tower on corner of white square building.
This light is operational
1922: Square pyramidal wooden tower.
Date Established: 1922
Date Present Tower Built: 1965
Date Automated: 1989
Fog Signal: Three two-second blasts every 60 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, guest house, restaurant.
Open To Public? Yes.
On Route 209, watch for signs for Cape d'Or and the Fundy Ecotour. Turn off between Spencers Island and Advocate Harbour. On that road turn left on a gravel road and follow about 3.4 miles to the light. The light station is open to the public from mid-May to mid-October from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner.
Keepers: Malcome McLeod (1922-?), Vance Barteaux (wife Sinar Barteaux) (1938-1958), Philip Morris, Ernie Morris (?-1989).
Nearby Lodging: There is a guest house in one of the restored keeper's houses. Call 902-670-0534 for information.