Chebucto Head Lighthouse Society
The lighthouse tower here was damaged by fire in 2003. The 1940 dwelling, which served as the lighthouse before the present tower was built, was destroyed by a suspicious fire on May 27, 2004. The Chebucto Head Lighthouse Society had just signed a lease for the building and had been starting to renovate it for use as a community center and museum. The active light and foghorn are still maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard.
Tower Height: 45
Height of Focal Plane: 162
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 20 seconds, visible for 14 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal concrete tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
1940 dwelling/lighthouse (lantern removed)
1872: White, square wooden tower with dwelling attached. c. 1928: White, octagonal concrete tower with red lantern. 1940: Lantern on roof of white square dwelling.
Date Established: 1872
Date Present Tower Built: 1967
Fog Signal: Two three-second blasts every 60 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Follow Route 253 to Herring Cove, then take Route 349. Turn off 349 onto Chebucto Head Road and follow to the lighthouse.
Keepers: Edward Johnson (1872-1906), Captain Richard Holland (1906-1928), Edward Gallagher (1928-1950), F. Gallagher (1950), S. R. Flemming (1950-1979), E. M. Kiley (1979), Jim Guptill