Canadian Coast Guard
After the present lighthouse was built in 1912, the original (1875) stood for some years, adjacent to the new lighthouse.
Tower Height: 47
Height of Focal Plane: 44
Characteristic and Range: Flashing green every 12 seconds, visible for six nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, square pyramidal tower with red trim.
This light is operational
1875: White, square, pyramidal wooden tower with a red hexagonal iron lantern; focal plane at 31 feet.
Date Established: 1875
Date Present Tower Built: 1912
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
This lighthouse is accessible by boat only, but it can be seen from the shore of Bras d'Or Lake in Baddeck. Bob Crawford writes: "This is a pretty light seen from the marina, also from the Alexander Graham Bell property -- lots of pretty sailboats in this harbour as well, great for the tourists." Bob also reports, "In season transportation is available via the Baddeck Lions Club pontoon boat. Great short ride, cost is by donation, load and age, maximum wait 15 minutes." The lighthouse can also be seen from a scenic tour offered by Loch Bhreagh Boat Tours; call 902-295-2016 or email email@example.com for information.
Keepers: Donald McRae (1875-?)