Phare historique de Pointe-des-Monts
Contact Address Information:
1937 Chemin du Vieux Phare, C.P.101
Tower Height: 90
Height of Focal Plane: 95
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 5 seconds; range 20 nautical miles (1995).
Description of Tower: Conical, white, stone tower with horizontal red stripes.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1830
Date Present Tower Built: 1830
Date Deactivated: c. 2000
Current Use: Museum, restaurant, accommodations.
Open To Public? Yes.
On the seven floors of the lighthouse there are exhibits on lighthouse keepers and the numerous shipwrecks in the area. There are also a bed and breakfast, a restaurant in the keeper's house, cottages, rustic campsites and observation sites for whales. The lighthouse is open from the beginning of June to mid-September. Before June 24 and after August 20: from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; from June 24 to August 20: from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The lighthouse is 90 miles east of Baie-Comeau, and about 2.5 miles (4 km) west of Baie-Trinité via Route 138. A side road takes you to the parking area. The lighthouse is reached by crossing a 500 foot (150 m.) foot bridge.
Keepers: :James Wallace (1830-1844); Zoël Bédard (1844-1867); Paul Pouliot (1867-1872); Louis-Ferdinand Fafard (1872-1889); Victor Fafard (1889-1929); Georges Fafard (1929-1953); Sauveur Duguay (1954-1959); Jacques Landry (1959-1978); Roland Boudreault (1978-1983).
Nearby Lodging: Call (418) 939-2332, or (418) 589-8408 off-season, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on lodging at the lighthouse.