Contact Address Information:
Fethard-on-Sea, Co. Wexford
The original lighthouse at Hook Head was built in the 5th century. According to tradition, it was established by a Welsh monk named Dubhad whose church still exists at nearby Churchtown. His successors continued to keep the light until 1641. The tower built in 1172 was later enclosed by a larger structure; a spiral stairway was installed between the outer wall of the 1172 tower and the inner wall of the new tower. The present lantern dates from 1864.
Tower Height: 115
Height of Focal Plane: 151
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 3 seconds. Also exhibited by day in poor visibility. Range 23 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, conical tower with two horizontal black bands.
This light is operational
Date Established: c. 500 A.D.
Date Present Tower Built: 1172
Date Deactivated: 1641-1667
Date Automated: 1996
Optics: 1864: First order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: 1838: bell; now automated horn, 2 blasts every 45 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Guided tours of Hook Head Lighthouse are available 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. from March 1 to October 31. Call 00 353 (0)51 397055/4 for opening times outside of stated times. Limited opening on selected Sundays November - February. Access to lighthouse is by guided tour only; last guided tour is at 5:00 p.m. A cafe, craft shop, reception area and public rest rooms are located in the former keeper's houses.
Hook Head Lighthouse is situated on the R734, 50 km from Wexford, 29 km from Waterford via the Passage East Car Ferry and 38km from New Ross.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!