Maritime New Zealand
The 1878 lighthouse here was moved from its original location to the main street in Wairoa in 1955. A new light was put in its place and was maintained by keepers until 1982. The lighthouse, although far from the sea, is lit at night as a symbol of progress and development in Wairoa.
Tower Height: 25
Height of Focal Plane: 615
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 20 seconds.
Description of Tower: Steel skeletal tower, white slatted daymark.
This light is operational
1878: White, hexagonal wooden tower, 28 feet tall (still standing).
Date Established: 1878
Date Present Tower Built: 1955?
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Keepers: Charles Robson (c. 1881), C. W. Skill (assistant, c. 1881), ? Edgar (assistant, c. 1880s)