Chester County Council
This lighthouse once showed 2 lights -- one at 63 feet, looking seaward towards Llandudno, and one at 8 feet looking down the River Dee towards Dawpool in Cheshire. It was restored in 1996. The tower was painted with red and white stripes with a red lantern while it was in service. It was replaced by a pile lighthouse in 1844; that light was replaced by a lightship in 1883.
Tower Height: 68
Description of Tower: White, conical tower with red lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1776
Date Present Tower Built: 1776
Date Deactivated: 1844
Current Use: Historic attraction.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
From Ffynnongroyw continue north on the A548 until a roundabout is reached. Turn right towards Talacre. At the end of the road is a parking area on the right, or continue to the sands where you can also park, although it may be muddy in winter. The Point of Ayr RSPB reserve and hide are to the right and Talacre marsh and Point of Ayr Lighthouse to the left.