Canadian Coast Guard
This was the first lighthouse on the west coast of Newfoundland. It was restored in 1989. Although it is officially listed as "Harbour Point Light," the name "Sandy Point" was the name of the former community on the island and this is how the lighthouse is referred to by local citizens today.
Tower Height: 26
Height of Focal Plane: 35
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white light visible for 9 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Conical cast iron tower with alternating red and white horizontal bands.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1883
Date Present Tower Built: 1883
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Keepers: Mellidge (Millage) C. Messervey (1883-?), Mellidge (Millage) C.R. Messervey (?), Fred Messervey (caretaker, 1939-1967).