Nauset Light Preservation Society
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 941
For many years there were three lighthouses known as the "Three Sisters" at this location. In 1911 two of the towers were removed; the center one remained in service. In 1923 one of the twin cast iron towers at Chatham was moved to Eastham and replaced the old tower. In 1996 the lighthouse was only about 35 feet from the edge of the bluff; it was moved 336 feet to a new site. The Three Sisters lighthouses have been restored and have been relocated near Nauset Light.
Tower Height: 48
Height of Focal Plane: 102
Characteristic and Range: Alternating red and white flash every five seconds.
Description of Tower: Conical cast iron tower, white (bottom half) and red (upper half), with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1875 1.5 wood keeper's house, 1892 oil house.
1838: Three conical 15-foot brick towers, 150 feet apart (known as
Date Established: 1838
Date Present Tower Built: 1877 (originally in Chatham)
Date Automated: 1952
Optics: 1856: Sixth order Fresnel lenses; 1873: Fourth order Fresnel lenses; 1981: DCB-224.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation, attraction on National Seashore.
Open To Public? Grounds only; tower open occasionally.
The lighthouse is open for tours most Sundays during the summer. The lighthouse is also open during Cape Cod Maritime Week in late May, Memorial Day weekend, and Father's Day. Call (508) 240-2612 or check the Nauset Light Preservation Society website to confirm dates and times.
From Route 6 in Eastham turn right on Brackett Road (the third traffic light after the Eastham/Orleans rotary). Go to the end and turn left onto Nauset Road. Take the first right onto Cable Road. At the end of Cable Road turn left onto Ocean View Drive to the parking lot. There is a path to the lighthouse. There is also a path leading from the parking lot to the location of the restored Three Sisters lighthouses; park rangers conduct tours of the towers. Contact the Cape Cod National Seashore's Salt Pond Visitor Center in Eastham at (508) 255-3421 for tour dates and times. At other times visitors are free to walk the grounds around the lighthouses.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Michael Collins (1838-c. 1843), Henry Horton (c. 1843), B. H. A. Collins (1843-1849), Joshua Crosby (1849-1851), Henry Y. Hatch (1851-1853), B. H. A. Collins (1853-1861), Michael Collins (1861-1866), Peter Higgins (1866-1869), George W. Eldredge (assistant 1867), John Dunn (assistant 1867), Samuel Snow (assistant 1867-1868), John J. Ryder (assistant 1868-1870), Nathan A. Gill (Jr.?) (1869-1883), Herman Gill (assistant 1870 and 1873), Nathan A. Gill (Sr.?) (assistant 1873-1879), Alfred Gill (assistant 1879-?), Stephen Lewis (1883-1914), Thomas J. Kelley (1914-1918), James Yates (1918-1919), George I. Herbolt (1919-1932), John Poyner (1932), Allison G. Haskins (1932-1938), Fred S. Vidler (1938-1942), Eugene L. Coleman (1942-1952)