Scituate Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 276
The most famous story in the history of Scituate Light is the "Scituate Army of Two." During the War of 1812 a British warship landed near the lighthouse. The two teenage daughters of the keeper were at the lighthouse alone. They began playing a fife and drum; the British thought the sound was the local militia and they hastily retreated. Scituate Light was discontinued in 1850 when the first Minot's Ledge Light went into service. It went back into service from 1852-1860. In 1994, the lighthouse was relighted by the Scituate Historical Society as a private aid to navigation.
Tower Height: 50
Height of Focal Plane: 70
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 15 seconds.
Description of Tower: Octagonal white stone tower with green lantern.
This light is operational
1811 1.5 story wooden keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1811
Date Present Tower Built: 1811
Date Deactivated: 1850-1852, 1860-1994
Optics: Now FA-250.
Current Use: Active private aid to navigation, private residence.
Open To Public? Grounds only; tower on occasion.
The grounds around the lighthouse are open every day with free parking. The lighthouse is opened by the Scituate Historical Society for occasional tours in summer. Call (781) 545-1083 for the current schedule.
In Scituate, heading north on MA Route 3A: Turn right at the MA 123 (Main Street) and Country Way intersection. Follow Country Way into Scituate Center. Turn right at First Parish Road. The intersection is marked with a "Scituate Harbor" sign. At another Scituate Harbor sign, where First Parish bears right to the southeast, continue straight ahead on connecting Beaverdam Road. Follow Beaverdam Road past Tilden Road. Turn left at Hatherly Road, then bear right onto Jericho Road. At the Jericho/Turner/Lighthouse Road intersection, turn right onto Lighthouse Road. Continue to the free parking lot at the lighthouse.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Simeon Bates (1811-1834); Zeba Cushing (1834-1840); Ebenezer Osborne (1840-1849); James Bates (1849-1851); Anthony Waterman (1851-1853); Alonzo Jones (1853-1856); Thomas Richardson (1856-1860); John Prouty (keeper of small light on jetty 1891-1904); John Frank Cushman (keeper of small light on jetty 1904-1924)