Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Contact Address Information:
1401 National Park Drive
Bodie Island Lighthouse was designed by Dexter Stetson, who also designed the present Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. The tower was restored in 1997-98 but the interior needs restoration. In July 2000 the tower was transferred from the Coast Guard to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. In a ceremony at Bodie Island lighthouse on Monday, On April 25, 2005, the Coast Guard formally relinquished control of the first order Fresnel lens to the National Park Service through the General Services Administration's Federal personal property disposal process.
Tower Height: 170
Height of Focal Plane: 156
Characteristic and Range: White 2.5 seconds on, 2.5 seconds off, 2.5 seconds on, then 22.5 seconds eclipse; two cycles per minute. Visible for 19 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Conical brick tower with white and black bands, black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1872 duplex brick keeper's house, storage building, oil house, cistern.
1848: First tower; 1859: Conical brick tower (destroyed in Civil War).
Date Established: 1848
Date Present Tower Built: 1872
Date Automated: 1954
Optics: 1872: First order Fresnel lens (still in use).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, attraction in national park.
Open To Public? Lower portion of tower and grounds only.
When volunteers are present, the lower portion of the lighthouse is open to visitors. The National Park Service operates a visitor center in the keeper's house. There are exhibits on lighthouse history, preservation and technology. There is also an information desk and gift shop. The visitor center is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, daily 9 am to 6 pm; Labor Day to Thanksgiving, daily 9 am to 5 pm. Admission is free. The phone number of the Bodie Island Visitor Center is (252) 441-5711.
The lighthouse station is located off NC 12, about 17 miles north of Rodanthe and four miles north of the Oregon Inlet Bridge. It is 5.8 miles south of Whalebone Junction.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: James Duncan Wilkins (1873-1876); Peter Gregory Gallop (1878-1906); Loren Edward Tillett, Sr. (?)