The 1866 granite lighthouse (which replaced the 1786 Hurst Tower) was replaced by an automated light on a metal structure atop a wall of Hurst Castle. That light was deactivated in 1997. Both the 1866 (separate entry) and 1911 structures still survive.
Description of Tower: 1866: Round granite tower. 1911: Gray square metal tower on wall of Hurst Castle.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1786
Date Present Tower Built: 1866
Date Deactivated: 1997
Current Use: Part of historic site.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
A ferry runs from Keyhaven to Hurst Castle from April through October. See www.hurst-castle.co.uk for details.