Door County Maritime Museum
Contact Address Information:
120 N. Madison Avenue
The Door County Maritime Museum leased this lighthouse station from the Coast Guard in the 1970s, and in 2007 they obtained ownership of the lighthouse. They continue to maintain it as a museum while the Coast Guard still maintains the active beacon.
Tower Height: 81
Height of Focal Plane: 89
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower sheathed in steel.
This light is operational
1870 1.5 story keeper's house, oil house, privy, storage building.
Date Established: 1870
Date Present Tower Built: 1870
Date Automated: 1945
Optics: 1870: Third order Fresnel lens, still in use.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
Cana Island Lighthouse is open to the public seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. through October 29. The keeper's dwelling and oil house are open as a museum.
The lighthouse is located north of Bailey's Harbor off County Highway Q, at the end of Cana Island Road. There is a rock causeway (pedestrians only) connecting the island to the mainland.
Keepers: William Jackson (1869-1872), Julius Warren (1872-1875), William A Sanderson (1875-1891), Thomas Brown (1891-1913), Conrad Stram (1913-1918), Oscar H Knudsen (1918-1924), Cliifford Sanderson (1924-1933), Ross Wright (1933-1941)