Bureau des Phares et Balises
When construction began on this lighthouse in 1904, it hadn't been realized that the rock was split. Because of this and other problems at the exposed site, reinforcement work continued for 20 years. The tower had to be anchored using three cables beneath it with a tension of 2,500 tons. A storm engulfed the lighthouse on December 21, 1989. On that day photographer Jean Guichard took his famous picture of a keeper standing in the doorway of the lighthouse as a monstrous wave surrounded the tower. Contrary to rumor, the keeper survived the wave. There have been no resident keepers since 1991.
Tower Height: 154
Height of Focal Plane: 135
Characteristic and Range: 3 red flashes every 15 seconds, visible for 22 miles.
Description of Tower: Octagonal stone tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1911
Date Present Tower Built: 1904-1911
Date Automated: 1991
Fog Signal: 3 blasts every 60 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!