U.S. Coast Guard
The 1808 Chatham Twins Light station was the second light station (after Highland Light) established on Cape Cod. The eroding bluff claimed the 1841 twin towers in 1877. The present lighthouse's twin was moved to Eastham in 1923; it is the present Nauset Light. The lantern of Chatham Light was removed by the Coast Guard in 1969 and was replaced by a larger lantern to make room for a rotating aerobeacon.
Tower Height: 48
Height of Focal Plane: 80
Characteristic and Range: Group flashing white -- two flashes every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: White conical cast iron tower with black lantern.
This light is operational
1877 1.5 story duplex keeper's house, oil house, garage.
1808: Twin octagonal wooden towers; 1841: Twin 40-foot brick towers; 1877: Twin 48-foot cast iron towers; north light was moved to Eastham in 1923 and is the present Nauset Light.
Date Established: 1808
Date Present Tower Built: 1877
Date Automated: 1982
Optics: 1857: Fourth order Fresnel lenses; 1969: rotating aerobeacon; 1993: DCB-224. The fourth order Fresnel lens and the 1877 lantern are on display at the Old Atwood House and Museum of the Chatham Historical Society.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, Coast Guard housing.
Open To Public? No.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Samuel Nye (1808-?); Joseph Loveland (?); Samuel Stinson (Stimson?) (c. 1832): Collins Howe (1841-1845); Simeon Nickerson (1845-1848, died in service); Angeline Nickerson (1848-1862); Charles Smith (c. 1862-?); Josiah Hardy (assistant 1871, keeper 1872-1897): Charles H. Hammond (1897-?); James Allison (1907-1927); George Woodman (1928-?); George Gustavas (1941-1945).