Cleveland East Ledge Lighthouse is an unusual tower; its architectural style is classified as Art Moderne. It is the last commissioned lighthouse in the First District, and the only one built by the Coast Guard. The lighthouse was sold at auction to a private owner in December of 2010.
Tower Height: 70
Height of Focal Plane: 74
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: White cylindrical reinforced concrete tower on square dwelling; on cylindrical concrete caisson.
This light is operational
Integral two story concrete keeper's quarters.
Date Established: 1943
Date Present Tower Built: 1943
Date Automated: 1978
Optics: 1943: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 190 mm.
Fog Signal: Automated horn with one blast every 15 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
This lighthouse is best seen by boat or airplane. A distant view (bring your binoculars) is possible from Old Silver Beach in West Falmouth. South on MA 28: Turn right off MA 28 onto MA 28A. Follow 28A through North Falmouth. Turn right at Wild Harbor Road and follow to Old Silver Beach.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Lieut. Olie P. Swenson (Coast Guard, C. 1944); Seaman LaMar Steed (Coast Guard, C. 1944), BM1 Thomas E. Norris (Coast Guard, C. 1944); BM1 ? Snyder (Coast Guard, c. 1960s)