Canadian Coast Guard
This is the third oldest lighthouse in Canada.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 60
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 5 seconds; visible for 19 nautical miles
Description of Tower: White cylindrical stone tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1809
Date Present Tower Built: 1809
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
The tower is open to the public and there is a historical display in the fog signal building.
The following information is current in July 2002 -- The ferry to the island can accommodate a few cars ($30 each way for non-residents). From Highway 132 near the mainland village of L'Isle-Verte, follow the road for Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs which ends at the ferry wharf. The trip to the island takes about 30 minutes. At the top of the hill after arriving on the island, turn left and then almost immediately right on the road to the lighthouse. The distance is about 1.5 miles.
There are no taxis on the island. Visitors on a day trip travelling on foot ($5 on the ferry) or by bicycle ($1 more) should note that, because the ferry travels only at high tide, the return trip may be as little as one hour or as much as eight or nine hours after arrival on the island. The walk to the lighthouse from the ferry takes at least 45 minutes, with two substantial hills along the way. For details on the ferry, see Société Inter-Rives de l’Ile Verte (inter-rives.qc.ca), phone 418-898-2843. A water taxi to the island is also available at the mainland ferry wharf.
Keepers: Charles Hambelton (1809-1827); Robert Noel Lindsay (1827-?); Gilbert Lindsay, (1866). (Lindsay family members were keepers for 137 years.)
Nearby Lodging: Lodging is available in the former keeper's quarters. See www.ileverte.net/maisonsduphare/chambre.html or call (418) 898-2730 for information.