Société Duvetnor Ltée
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 305
200 Hayward Street
The island got the name "Brandy Pot" because of the brown-colored spring water. The island is a favorite nesting place of the common eider. The light is not operational. A light is shown from a nearby skeleton tower. The lighthouse was restored in 1989.
Description of Tower: White cylindrical tower on top of dwelling; lantern has red roof.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1862
Date Deactivated: 1964
Current Use: Tourist site, overnight accommodations.
Open To Public? Yes.
In addition to overnight stays, Société Duvetnor offers day trips to the island. All departures are at 2 p.m. from the Duvetnor dock in Rivière-du-Loup harbour; the trip takes about 20 minutes; return around 4.30 p.m. A guided tour of the lighthouse and along some of the nearby paths. Reservations are essential (price in 2002: $30/person).
Keepers: Jean-Baptiste Destroismaisons (Picard), 1861-73; Narcisse Richard, 1873-78; Alphonse Richard (1878-1914); Arthur Leclerc (1914-1920); Louis Dubé (1920-1943); Roger Dubé (1943-1964).
Nearby Lodging: Overnight accommodations are available at the lighthouse; call 418-867-1660 for information and reservations.