Sandy Neck Restoration Committee
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 147
The lighthouse was replaced by a nearby skeleton tower in 1931. In 1952, that light was also discontinued and the property was sold into private hands. Along with the Cape Cod Chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation, the Sandy Neck Restoration Committee,worked with the owner to have a replica lantern installed on the tower in 2007.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 47
Description of Tower: White cylindrical brick tower with black reinforcing bands.
This light is not operational
1880 1.5 story wood keeper's house.
1826: Brick keeper's house with lantern on roof.
Date Established: 1826
Date Present Tower Built: 1857
Date Deactivated: 1931
Optics: c. 1857: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? No.
Sandy Neck Light can be seen distantly from Millway Beach in Barnstable; it is accessible via a difficult six-mile hike over sand. It is best seen by boat. Hyannis Whale Watcher's cruises leaving Barnstable Harbor pass the lighthouse; call (508) 362-6088 or (888) WHALE-WATCH for information and reservations. The cruises run daily from April through October. To reach Hyannis Whale Watcher from US Route 6: take Exit 6. Take MA 132 south toward Hyannis. At the first set of lights take a left onto Phinney's Lane. Follow the road straight over the railroad tracks and through a set of lights. The dock and office are at the end of the road at Millway Marina.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Joseph Nickerson (1826-1833); Henry Baxter (1833-1844); Thomas P. D. Baxter (1846-1862); Lucy Hinckley Baxter (1862-1867); Edward Gorham (1867-1875); Jacob S. Howes (1875-1880); Eunice Crowell Howes (1880-1886); Philip R. Smith (1886-1897); George A. Jamieson (1897-1908); James Jorgensen (1908-1909), Henry L. Pingree (1909-?); William L. Anderson (c. 1930)