Bristol Ferry Light was replaced by an automatic light in a skeleton tower in 1927. Before the buidling of the Mount Hope Bridge in 1930, a ferry had run from near the lighthouse to Aquidneck Island. The lantern was removed in 1928 and the lighthouse was sold into private hands. Recent owners, the Lundin family, had a new lantern installed. It was sold again in early 2000.
Tower Height: 34
Height of Focal Plane: 35
Description of Tower: White, square brick tower attached to keeper's house, with black lantern.
This light is not operational
1855 1.5 story brick keeper's house (attached to tower), 1904 brick oil house.
Date Established: 1855
Date Present Tower Built: 1855
Date Deactivated: 1927
Optics: 1855: Sixth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? No.
On RI 114 north or south in Bristol near the Mount Hope Bridge (toll), turn east onto Ferry Road. Continue to a large turnaround. Parking is not permitted in the turnaround, so park on Ferry Road. You can view the lighthouse from the nearby rocky beach, remembering to respect the privacy of the residents.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: George Pearse (1855); Henry Dimon (1855-1856); Elizabeth Dimon (1856); D. W. Coggleshall (1857-1861); C. Sanford (1861-1870); George T. Cladding (Gladding?) (1870-1871); James W. Waldron (1871-1875); William Dunwell (1875-1882); Edward P. Hoxsie (1882-1886); Edward Sherman (1886-?)