In 1933 Conanicut Island Light was replaced by an automatic light on a skeleton tower. The lantern was removed and the lighthouse was sold into private hands. The light on the skeleton tower was discontinued in the early 1980s.
Height of Focal Plane: 47
Description of Tower: Red square wood tower attached to keeper's house.
This light is not operational
1886 two story keeper's house (attached to tower), 1897 barn, 1901 oil house, storage building.
Date Established: 1886
Date Present Tower Built: 1886
Date Deactivated: 1933
Optics: 1886: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: 1886: Fog bell; 1903: Compressed air-driven fog siren.
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? No.
From RI 138 in Jamestown, take East Shore Road north. At the northern tip of the island, where East Shore turns west, turn right into a dirt road. The lighthouse is about 0.1 mile from the turn.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Horace W. Arnold (1886-1915 or 1918), Elmer V. Newton (1915 or 1918 to 1931)