Canadian Coast Guard
Cape Negro Island is really two islands connected by a narrow strip of land. The first lighthouse here was at Abbot's Point at the northeast side of the south island. In 1915 it decided that navigation would be better served by a new lighthouse at the southeast end of the south island.
Tower Height: 42
Height of Focal Plane: 91
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white (2) every 15 seconds, Visible from 187° through W., N. and E. to 106°30', visible for 16 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Octagonal, white concrete tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
1872: 29-foot high square wooden building with lantern on top (at Abbot's Point); 1887: 44-foot octagonal wooden tower (at Abbot's Point).
Date Established: 1872
Date Present Tower Built: 1915
Fog Signal: 1913: hand-operated horn, now automatic horn with one blast eveyr 60 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Keepers: James McKinnon (1872-1897), Brian Nickerson (1915-1916), Freeland Perry (1916-1943), Harry Perry (1943-1963)
Nearby Lodging: Whispering Waves Cottages offers five oceanfront cottages in the harbor facing Cape Negro Island. They offer their guests tours of the island on request, via a "Cape Island" style fishing vessel. See www.whisperingwavescottages.com for details.