This was the first lighthouse station on the outside coast of Alaska. Because of the hazardous duty here, keepers received one year's vacation every four years. The second Scotch Cap Lighthouse was destroyed by a tsunami on April 1, 1946, killing five keepers. It was replaced by a temporary light until 1950. The 1950 structure has since been replaced by an automated light on a skeleton tower.
Tower Height: 45
Height of Focal Plane: 90
This light is not operational
1903: Octagonal wooden tower on roof of fog signal building; 1940: Square concrete tower on roof of fog signal building. 1950: Short tower with light on roof of fog signal building.
Date Established: June 18, 1903.
Date Deactivated: ?
Date Automated: 1971
Optics: 1903: Third order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Charles Shepardson (c. 1927), Barney Lokken (c. 1927), Oscar Lindberg (c. 1927). The following Coast Guardsmen died in the 1946 tsunami: Anthony Lawrence Petit, Jack Colvin, Dewey Dykstra, Leonard Pickering, Paul James Ness.