U.S. Coast Guard
Shipping traffic past Point Judith was very heavy in the 19th and early 20th centuries; in 1907, 22,860 vessels were counted passing the lighthouse in daylight hours. Two keeper's houses were destroyed after the light was automated. The lighthouse underwent an extensive renovation in the summer of 2000; some of the original brownstone blocks had to be replaced.
Tower Height: 51
Height of Focal Plane: 65
Characteristic and Range: White light; 5 seconds on, 2 seconds off, 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off, 2 on, 2 seconds off.
Description of Tower: Octagonal brownstone tower, white on bottom half and brown on top half, with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
Oil house, fog signal building.
1810: Octagonal wooden tower (destroyed in hurricane in 1815); 1816: 35-foot stone tower.
Date Established: 1810
Date Present Tower Built: 1857
Date Automated: 1954
Optics: c. 1838: 10 lamps with 8.5
Fog Signal: 1867: Daboll fog trumpet operated by hot air engine; 1873: First class steam siren; now automated fog horn with one blast every 15 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, Coast Guard housing.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Depart US Route 1 in Wakefield and follow RI 108 south to Point Judith. The road terminates at a four-way stop. Turn right onto Ocean Road and follow to the light station. The grounds are open daily and there is free parking.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: John P. Whitford (1809-1835), Benjamin Hadwens or Haden (?) (1835-1845), William A. Weeden (1845-1849), Edgar Ravenswood (or Edgar Eaton ?) (1849-1853), George H. Clark (1853-1856), Samuel F. Tucker (1856-1861), Daniel E. Defft (1861-1862), Joseph Whaley (1862-1889), Edwin B. Tucker (1st asst., 1867), Henry W. Clark (1st asst., 1867-1873), Isaac Negus (1st asst., 1873), Benjamin A. King (1st asst., 1873-1874), Samuel Beawnut (1st asst., 1874), C. C. Clark (1st asst., 1874-1875), J. Pennett (1st asst., 1875-1876), Henry A. Whaley (1st asst., 1876-1889, keeper 1889-1910), William Nelson (1st asst., 1889), John Stedman (1st asst., 1889-1898), Harry R. Collins (1st asst., 1898-1901), Julius Gregove (1st asst., 1901-1904), Arthur E. Godfrey (1st asst., 1904-1906), Willis A. Green (1st asst., 1906-1910, keeper 1910-1911), J. N. (Julius ?) Gregove (1st asst., 1910-1911), Elmer J. Rathbun (1911-1929), A. D. Gilmore (1st asst., 1911-1918), Jeremiah J. Allen (1st asst., 1918-1929), Rudolph Iten (1929-1941), Carl S. Chellis (1st asst., 1929-1939), Octavius E. Davis (1st asst., 1939-1941)