This lighthouse was nicknamed the "Lighthouse at the End of the World" after the novel written by Jules Verne (or possibly by his son Michel Verne). The remains of the lighthouse were moved to Ushuaia and a reconstruction of the lighthouse was finished at the museum in 1997. At the original site a reproduction of the lighthouse was created in 1998 by a society of French fans of Jules Verne who worked with the Argentine Navy. This reproduction is now an active aid to navigation.
Tower Height: 21
Height of Focal Plane: 238
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 15 seconds.
Description of Tower: Octagonal wooden building with gray metal roof; light is shown through a window.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1884
Date Present Tower Built: 1998
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
See www.tierradelfuego.org.ar/museomar/ing001.htm for information on the Ushuaia Maritime Museum.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!