Point Gellibrand Coastal Heritage Park
A timeball apparatus at this location operated until 1926, allowing shipmasters to correct their chronometers. The timeball was installed on a flagstaff and the ball was dropped at one o'clock every afternoon. Later the ball was installed on top of the lighthouse tower on a cylindrical tower, which has since been removed. The timeball today is operated by a computer and drops each day at 1 p.m.
Tower Height: 58
Description of Tower: Square pyramidal bluestone tower
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1839
Date Present Tower Built: 1849
Current Use: Historic monument, timeball.
Open To Public? Yes.
For information on visiting Williamstown, see www.williamstowninfo.com.au