Huron Island Lighthouse Preservation Association
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 381
Huron Island Light is very similar to Michigan's Granite Island Light. The Coast Guard still maintains the active optic in the lighthouse, and the site is managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as part of the Huron Islands National Wildlife Refuge. The building was allowed to fall into severe disrepair, but the Huron Island Lighthouse Preservation Association is working to restore the station.
Tower Height: 39
Height of Focal Plane: 197
Description of Tower: Square granite tower attached to keeper's quarters.
This light is operational
Attached two story granite keeper's house.
Date Established: 1868
Date Present Tower Built: 1877
Date Automated: 1972
Optics: 1868: 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens; now electric oscillator light.
Fog Signal: Originally steam fog whistle, later diaphone horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only. Those who travel to the islands should be aware of the location of reefs before attempting to land on the islands. Keweenaw Excursions offers cruises that pass this lighthouse; see www.keweenawexcursions.com/pages/lighthouses.htm or call 906-482-0884, or email Kraig@portup.com.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Abel Hall (1868-1879), Duncan Cameron (1880-1891), Francis Jacker (1892-1897), Charles Schultz (1897-1900), Frank Witte (1901-1914), James Edwin Collins (1935-1951)