Canadian Coast Guard
This light was originally established near the extremity of the spit, called "Banc des Robin." It was moved away from the end of the point in 1881 and again in 1921 due to erosion. The 1921 tower was destroyed in a violent storm in November 1963. It was rebuilt in 1964, with the light now powered by electricity. It was rebuilt again around 1970.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 45
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 5 seconds, visible for 20 miles.
Description of Tower: Square skeleton tower with two orange rectangular daymarks, facing east and south.
This light is operational
1870: White, square wooden tower; 54 feet tall. 1881: White, square, wooden tower; 54 feet tall; dwelling nearby. 1921: Red, square skeleton tower with a white slatwork daymark and enclosed upper portion, and a red iron lantern; 66 feet tall.
Date Established: 1870
Date Present Tower Built: c. 1970
Date Deactivated: 1921
Current Use: Temporarily inactive (2003-2004).
Keepers: Charles Morin (?-1951); Léonard Joseph (keeper: 1951-1963; caretaker: 1964-1968)