Comité local de développement de l'Anse-à-Valleau
Contact Address Information:
884, Boul. Anse-à-Valleau
G4X 1A2 ,
The lighthouse was replaced by a skeleton tower in 1977. As its survival was threatened by neglect and vandalism, it was moved in 1981 to Quebec City, where it was painted white and stood in the lower harbour as a tourist attraction. Local interests in L’Anse-à-Valleau worked to repatriate the lighthouse, and it was moved back to its original site in 1997. In 2000 a new adjacent building was constructed, now housing a museum, gift shop and coffee shop. There are also nature trails from the lighthouse to the village.
Tower Height: 49
Description of Tower: Red, circular cast iron tower and lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1880
Date Present Tower Built: 1907
Date Deactivated: 1977
Optics: 1907: First order Fresnel lens (still in place)
Current Use: Heritage tourist attraction.
Open To Public? Yes.
On Highway 132 about 3 miles west of L’Anse-à-Valleau, watch for the sign announcing the lighthouse. An unpaved road (about 2.5 miles) leads to the reconstituted lightstation. There are guided tours, a gift shop, and a coffee shop. Parking is available. The lighthouse is open June 1 to mid-October, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Keepers: James Ascah (1880-1913); Hubert Leigh Ascah (1913-?)