The original lighthouse and attached buildings here were demolished in 1967 and a steel tower was erected to replace the lighthouse. The light on the modern tower was automated in 1979.
Tower Height: 112
Height of Focal Plane: 106
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 18 seconds; range 16 miles (1938).
Description of Tower: White circular stone tower with two red vertical stripes and a red lantern; dwelling attached.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1858
Date Deactivated: 1967
Optics: Second-order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: David Ballantyn (1858-1863); Louis Malouin (1863-1877); Alfred Malouin (1877-1907); Lorenzo Malouin (1907-1926); Horatio Malouin (1926-1938); René Malouin (?); J. Marcel Duguay (1941-1964); Louis Henley (1965-1972); Luc Caron (1972-1973); Jean-Eudes Rioux (1974-1979)