East End Lighthouses
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 21
Plum Island Light was transfered to the USDA in 1981. A USDA animal disease research center operates on the island, and the island has been off limits to the public for 45 years. East End Lighthouses (a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation) and the Long Island Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society have been working for the restoration of the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 55
Height of Focal Plane: 69
Description of Tower: White, octagonal wood tower with black cast iron lantern on roof of granite keeper's dwelling.
This light is not operational
1870 integral two story granite keeper's house, oil house, storage shed.
1827: 30-foot stone tower.
Date Established: 1827
Date Present Tower Built: 1870
Date Automated: 1978
Optics: 1856: Fourth order Fresnel lens, now on display atthe East End Seaport Museum in Greenport, NY.
Current Use: Under restoration.
Open To Public? No.
Plum Island Light is best seen from the water. Each year on the first Saturday in June, the East End Seaport and Marine Foundation sponsors a lighthouse cruise on Long Island Sound. Departure is from the Museum Dock at 9 am. Call the museum at (516) 477-2121 or email email@example.com for more information. Exact itinerary may vary. This is a fabulous opportunity to see several Long Island Sound lighthouses up close. To insure getting aboard, place your reservations with the Foundation early in the year. Captain John's Sport Fishing Center in Waterford, CT, also offers a Lighthouse Cruise that includes Plum Island Light. Call (860) 443-7259 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Keepers: William Wetmore (1869-1903); William Parks (c. 1910); William Chapell (1913-c. 1930).